Take note, gluten-free, nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free eaters. This is a recipe that can be modified for any diet preference… and it turns out. It’s one of those miracle, throw-in-what-you-want recipes that serves children and adults alike.
We’ve taken these babies on hikes, skiing, to the park. Frozen them for later or eaten them as we’ve made ’em. I’ve seen them at kid birthday parties and adult Christmas parties. They are magic.
These are simple to make, don’t require baking, freeze well, and depending on the size you make them, can make more than 40 at a time. And the only skill you need is the ability to stir. Again, magic.
This time I made these as a travel treat for kiddos that can take nuts, so I used peanut butter and walnuts. The chocolate makes them special, but kid bodies are getting some decent fiber and only a honey sweetener. Tricky mama. Some other lovely combo ideas are chopped almonds with chopped dried cherries, or chopped dried apricots with dark chocolate pieces. You really can’t go wrong.
This is a modified recipe originally from Gimme Some Oven. Lots more lovely recipes there. Ingredients for Favorite Energy Bites:
- 1 cup dry oatmeal (I use old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes – optional
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ (or 1/4 cup each) – optional
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or sunflower seed butter (both work equally well)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or cacao nibs – optional (could also use butterscotch, mini M&Ms, chopped dark or white chocolate pieces)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts of choice – optional (chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup dried fruit of choice – optional (dried cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, dried apricots, dates)
Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly mixed. Roll into balls of whatever size you choose. If you’ve chosen to bypass some of the optional dry ingredients and your mixture is very sticky, add more oats until they stick together nicely. Then store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week. But you won’t have to worry about that part. They will be gone.
One thought on “Favorite Energy Bites”