There’s nothing like finding a natural ingredient that can do far more than you ever thought. And we found one. This week, we did a little research on one of our favorites… honey. Could there be a lovelier substance? Hardly.
We love it in our tea, love to put it over yogurt in the morning, love to mix it into our oatmeal or energy bites. Yes, we’ll take any opportunity to showcase it over triple cream brie or figs or cinnamon rolls. Let’s be honest, a spoon full on its own is perfect. But we also found miles and miles of fantastic articles and cool facts about honey’s “other” side… Its natural healing uses, broad nutritional value, and anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Maybe this will inspire you to do a little looking on how you choose to use that yellow-capped bottle of goodness more often. Our bit of exploring just scratched the surface. So here are a few ideas on how else you might put that sweet liquid gold to work.
- Mix it with hot water and honey as a natural way to relieve cough and throat irritation.
- Dilute it with warm water to improve an itchy scalp or dandruff.
- Use it as a natural energy booster, especially for athletes looking for “time release fuel” for energy over longer durations.
- Some varieties have large amounts of friendly bacteria. Make it part of your probiotics.
- Use honey as a natural way to heal cuts and burns.
- Add honey to chamomile tea as a sleep aid.
- Use local honey to reduce allergy symptoms, introducing small amounts of local allergen into your system and allowing your immune system to slowing build up immunity. To find a local honey producer near you, check out this locator map.
- Apply it to scars to help them fade.
- Mix it with apple cider vinegar to reduce acid reflux.
- Mix it with ginger to alleviate stomach aches.
- Combined with cinnamon, lemon and baking soda, honey can help with bad breath.
- The anti-bacterial properties are wonderful for creating glowing skin or to clear up acne. The Nourished Life has created four recipes for a variety of skin types. This recipe is awesome for dry skin. Cheers to honey and all of its goodness!
Dry Skin Honey & Avocado Mask
- 1 tsp mashed avocado
- 1 tsp plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tsp raw honey
Mix until smooth. Spread over your face and let sit for 20-30 minutes before washing it off. The fats in the avocado and yogurt moisturize, the lactic acid in the yogurt smoothes, and the anti-bacterial properties of the honey are a natural antiseptic, keep pores clear, and reduce swelling.